All organized volunteer activities and group trail work days in Panthertown and the surrounding National Forests in North Carolina are postponed until at least May 15, 2020.
- Please continue to report obstacles or problems seen in Panthertown.
- We will continue our work on the trails when emergency orders are lifted.
- Trails may require our extra attention due to heavy use (when permitted).
- You can help us protect and maintain Panthertown. Volunteers will be needed.
- Please consider supporting our work with a donation or become a member.
MountainTrue (March 27, 2020):
Download COVID-19 Trail Etiquette from MountainTrue (PDF)
American Hiking Society (March 24, 2020):
Hiking Responsibly – FAQs for Hiking During the Covid-19 Pandemic
#1 Rule: Always, always practice social distancing and follow the guidelines of your local government or the federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC), whichever are more restrictive.
Updates about the U.S. Forest Service National Forests of North Carolina response to COVID-19 will be posted at www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nfsnc, and on Twitter at twitter.com/NFsNCarolina.
- Update on seasonally-closed roads on Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests Release Date: Apr 1, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina temporarily suspends all volunteer activities Release Date: Mar 31, 2020
- Delayed opening for Cradle of Forestry 2020 season Release Date: Mar 30, 2020
- Cherokee, Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests temporarily shut down trailheads, access points to Appalachian National Scenic Trail Release Date: Mar 28, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina temporarily shutting down all recreation facilities Release Date: Mar 26, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina temporarily shuts down Off-Highway Vehicle trail systems Release Date: Mar 26, 2020
- Current Closures Release Date: Mar 24, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina closes all campgrounds Release Date: Mar 22, 2020
- Prescribed fire activity temporarily suspended by USDA Forest Service in southern states Release Date: Mar 21, 2020
- Nantahala and Pisgah Forest Plan Revision Comment Period to be Extended Release Date: Mar 19, 2020
- Cancelled: All Nantahala and Pisgah Forest Plan Revision Open Houses Release Date: Mar 17, 2020