All organized volunteer activities and group trail work days in Panthertown and the surrounding National Forests in North Carolina are postponed until at least May 15, 2020.
- Please continue to report obstacles or problems seen in Panthertown.
- We will continue our work on the trails when emergency orders are lifted.
- Trails may require our extra attention due to heavy use (when permitted).
- You can help us protect and maintain Panthertown. Volunteers will be needed.
- Please consider supporting our work with a donation or become a member.
MountainTrue (March 27, 2020):
Download COVID-19 Trail Etiquette from MountainTrue (PDF)
American Hiking Society (March 24, 2020):
Hiking Responsibly – FAQs for Hiking During the Covid-19 Pandemic
#1 Rule: Always, always practice social distancing and follow the guidelines of your local government or the federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC), whichever are more restrictive.
Asheville Citizen-Times (March 23, 2020):
Coronavirus: What is the trail etiquette
for staying safe on WNC hiking trails?
Updates about the U.S. Forest Service National Forests of North Carolina response to COVID-19 will be posted at www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nfsnc, and on Twitter at twitter.com/NFsNCarolina.
- Update on seasonally-closed roads on Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests Release Date: Apr 1, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina temporarily suspends all volunteer activities Release Date: Mar 31, 2020
- Delayed opening for Cradle of Forestry 2020 season Release Date: Mar 30, 2020
- Cherokee, Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests temporarily shut down trailheads, access points to Appalachian National Scenic Trail Release Date: Mar 28, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina temporarily shutting down all recreation facilities Release Date: Mar 26, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina temporarily shuts down Off-Highway Vehicle trail systems Release Date: Mar 26, 2020
- Current Closures Release Date: Mar 24, 2020
- National Forests in North Carolina closes all campgrounds Release Date: Mar 22, 2020
- Prescribed fire activity temporarily suspended by USDA Forest Service in southern states Release Date: Mar 21, 2020
- Nantahala and Pisgah Forest Plan Revision Comment Period to be Extended Release Date: Mar 19, 2020
- Cancelled: All Nantahala and Pisgah Forest Plan Revision Open Houses Release Date: Mar 17, 2020